Infusion 1.5 release discussion at the community meeting

Infusion 1.5 release discussion at the community meeting

Justin Obara-3
At today's community meeting we talked about the upcoming Infusion 1.5 release. Please see below for the notes on the discussion.

Thanks
Justin

Agenda
======

  • what to call the preferences framework
  • what to deprecate
  • what are the api changes since 1.4

Preferences Framework (src/framework/preferences/, namespace "fluid.prefs.*")
  • Builder
  • Auxilary builder
  • Primary Builder
  • resource loader
  • model relay (if not moved to framework)
  • store
  • cookie store  (we should probably consider swapping cookies for local data storage as  our default persistence mechanism)
  • temp store
  • uiEnhancer (empty) fluid.prefs.uiEnhancer
  • uiOptions (empty) (renamed to fluid.prefs.prefsEditor)
  • panel (base grade)
  • enactor (base grade)
  • url utilities
  • fatPanel grade (renamed to separatedPanel)
  • iFramePanel
  • SeparatedPanel
  • IsolatedPanel
  • starter grades/schemas
  • starter panels (e.g. contrast, textSize...)
  • starter enactors

UIOptions: Our Instance of a Prefs Editor
  • 4 lines of code

Top-level Components
  • textfieldSlider
  • slidingPanel

Things To Deprecate
----------------------------
  • demands
  • non-autoInit components (including initSubcomponents, initFunctions, etc.)
  • old super applier (replaced by model relay)
  • guards, postguards (replaced by model relay)
  • FSS
  • initDependents
  • lifecycle functions
  • old-style uploader API
  • old-style reorderer API
  • old-style IoC configuration such as fluid.COMPONENT_OPTIONS, @0, @1 syntax, etc.
  • workarounds/hacks for old browsers
  • Flash support
  • THE RENDERER
  • RADICAL STYLEZ (maybe, maybe!)
  • renaming fluid.defaults
  • no more distinction between options and other stuff--eliminate custom signatures and options

Things to remove now
-----------------------------
  • bgiframe
  • json2.js
  • ariaTabs (should be replaced by the one from jQuery UI)
  • tooltip (should be replaced by the one from jQuery UI)

Roadmap for new base clases:
  • fluid.modelRelayComponent will be introduced in 1.5 - components will gradually migrate from fluid.modelComponent to fluid.modelRelayComponent. fluid.modelComponent itself will be abolished in 2.0, and fluid.modelRelayComponent will be renamed to fluid.modelComponent
  • "fluid.newRendererComponent" will appear in 2.0 beta, "fluid.rendererComponent" will be renamed to "fluid.oldRendererComponent". For 2.0 release, fluid.newRendererComponent will be renamed to fluid.rendererComponent

Proposed hierarchy for 2.0
src/
    lib/
    framework/