Documentation decisions

Cheetham, Anastasia-2

We had a very productive meeting this afternoon at which we made several decisions about our demos. My notes are in an etherpad here:
        https://etherpad.mozilla.org/9rw4RMHvgV

Here's a cleaned-up version:

1) The 'demos' and 'tests' folders will be moved out of 'src' and made siblings of 'src'

2) The 'instructional demos' will be renamed 'examples' and made sibling of 'src' and 'demos'
- We will move these examples into the documentation repository once we work out a good way of referencing the right version of Infusion.

3) The 'standalone' demos folder will be removed. The contents will be handled as follows:
- the pager demo will become an 'example'
- the id-based renderer demo will be removed; the other renderer demos will be come 'examples'
- the reorderer demo will be come an 'example'
- the table of contents demo will become a regular demo

4) The 'integration' demos folder will be removed. The contents will be handled as follows:
- move the pager demo to manual-tests and update it to indicate what it's testing

5) The contents of the manual-tests folder will be handled as follows:
- get rid of
        - non-preview versions of the full-page prefs framework files
        - schema-versions of the separated panel prefs framework files
        - renderer component types
- convert into 'examples':
        - the grades version of the separated panel prefs framework file
        - simple progress
- update the 'versioning' page:
        - rename to "multiple-infusion-versions"
        - make older version 1.5
        - update text of page to indicate purpose of page, what to do to it, what to expect
- keep the rest as-is
        - organize/rename them according to component

6) The main demos will be handled as follows
- move the rich-text inline-edit demo into manual-tests

We also discussed how to handle links to framework function API docs given that we don't have them yet for the new docs repo. The goal is to link directly to the actual source files until we have docs. We'll start by finding out how many there are, then decide whether or not to do this with all of them (and then update them all when we have actual docs) or, if there are too many, just wait.

--
Anastasia Cheetham     Inclusive Design Research Centre
[hidden email]           Inclusive Design Institute

Re: Documentation decisions

Justin Obara-3
The demo changes pertain to http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-5217

Thanks
Justin

On Jun 18, 2014, at 4:47 PM, Cheetham, Anastasia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We had a very productive meeting this afternoon at which we made several decisions about our demos. My notes are in an etherpad here:
> https://etherpad.mozilla.org/9rw4RMHvgV
>
> Here's a cleaned-up version:
>
> 1) The 'demos' and 'tests' folders will be moved out of 'src' and made siblings of 'src'
>
> 2) The 'instructional demos' will be renamed 'examples' and made sibling of 'src' and 'demos'
> - We will move these examples into the documentation repository once we work out a good way of referencing the right version of Infusion.
>
> 3) The 'standalone' demos folder will be removed. The contents will be handled as follows:
> - the pager demo will become an 'example'
> - the id-based renderer demo will be removed; the other renderer demos will be come 'examples'
> - the reorderer demo will be come an 'example'
> - the table of contents demo will become a regular demo
>
> 4) The 'integration' demos folder will be removed. The contents will be handled as follows:
> - move the pager demo to manual-tests and update it to indicate what it's testing
>
> 5) The contents of the manual-tests folder will be handled as follows:
> - get rid of
> - non-preview versions of the full-page prefs framework files
> - schema-versions of the separated panel prefs framework files
> - renderer component types
> - convert into 'examples':
> - the grades version of the separated panel prefs framework file
> - simple progress
> - update the 'versioning' page:
> - rename to "multiple-infusion-versions"
> - make older version 1.5
> - update text of page to indicate purpose of page, what to do to it, what to expect
> - keep the rest as-is
> - organize/rename them according to component
>
> 6) The main demos will be handled as follows
> - move the rich-text inline-edit demo into manual-tests
>

> We also discussed how to handle links to framework function API docs given that we don't have them yet for the new docs repo. The goal is to link directly to the actual source files until we have docs. We'll start by finding out how many there are, then decide whether or not to do this with all of them (and then update them all when we have actual docs) or, if there are too many, just wait.
>

> --
> Anastasia Cheetham     Inclusive Design Research Centre
> [hidden email]           Inclusive Design Institute
>                                        OCAD University

Re: Documentation decisions

Justin Obara-3
I've been working on FLUID-5217 to implement these changes. You can follow along in my branch.
https://github.com/jobara/infusion/tree/FLUID-5217

There is a comment regarding the integration-demo, to move it to the manual-tests. It seems that this decision was made because the markup and etc were quite complex and didn't suit an example. In attempting to clean up this demo to migrate, I've found that I can recreate the variations it's testing (annotation by sorted column, and supplying a page index into the model) by using similar markup and etc as the pager demo. With that in mind, I think we should just make new examples for each of these variations, and scrap the existing integration demo completely.

Thanks
Justin