Community Meeting (March 16) - Community Onboarding

Community Meeting (March 16) - Community Onboarding

Justin Obara-3

At the upcoming community meeting (March 16) we will have a discussion about how to facilitate onboarding into the community. Please come with examples, anecdotes, and etc of good practices for this that you have seen in other communities. Also think about your own experience joining the community or bringing others in, and reflect on what did and didn’t work.

Thanks
Justin

Re: Community Meeting (March 16) - Community Onboarding

Justin Obara-3
Github has posed a “Creating a new contributor on-ramp” blog post yesterday. The entire post is worth a read, and is likely things we have already discussed in our onboarding meeting and in discussion about our online presence. The thing that struck me the most was the six steps that a user usually takes when progressing into a project. Discover, Setup tools, Learn skills, Identify tasks, Get help, and Feel appreciated. These are all areas for which we have information, but as was mentioned in the meeting, they are not always easy to find. I really like the graphic they have in this post, and feel like we could make an awesome community portal along the lines of this, hood.ie and etc.

Thanks
Justin

On March 10, 2016 at 12:51:44 PM, Justin Obara ([hidden email]) wrote:

At the upcoming community meeting (March 16) we will have a discussion about how to facilitate onboarding into the community. Please come with examples, anecdotes, and etc of good practices for this that you have seen in other communities. Also think about your own experience joining the community or bringing others in, and reflect on what did and didn’t work.

Thanks
Justin

Re: Community Meeting (March 16) - Community Onboarding

Justin Obara-3
Hi Taliesin,

Thanks for your feedback, I left some comments below.

Thanks
Justin

On March 20, 2016 at 1:50:00 PM, Taliesin Love Smith ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi Justin,
Great article about on-ramping. I agree the 6 steps look like a good recipe for getting people involved and helping them stay involved.

Sorry I missed the Community Meeting on this topic.
Just wondering if the topic of on-ramping inclusive design students came up?

We sort of talked more generally about onboarding with some specifics about GSoC students. I don’t believe that the Inclusive design students came up as a specific point. If you have more thoughts on this, please feel free to let us know.

I think the Community Meeting is such a valuable platform for making connections, especially in the first year of the program.

I've only come to a few meetings, but I've enjoyed them, and would like to join in more often.

Thanks, glad you’ve enjoyed them. Hope you can make it to more. They are open so feel free to come whenever you like. Also, it would be good to have the Inclusive Design students leading community meetings from time-to-time.

I like your idea of organizing all the intro documents, so it is more clear how to get involved.

Personally, I find the Fluid and Floe projects are quite big. A newcomer doesn't necessarily make all the connections. The projects are big enough that a person can get overwhelmed even at the Discovery step :-) Easing the process from Discovery to Setup Tools would be awesome!

I’m not sure if you saw the notes, but this seems to be a theme. It’s something we’d really like to address. We have some concrete first steps listed in the notes, but those probably won’t fully address the issue of “how do all the projects relate”. It’s something that we’re still working through and have had some ideas about.

It's kind of like basic accessibility. First you need access, then once you have some access you can start to figure how to engage and hopefully eventually contribute.

One of our former designers, James Yoon, once described the stages to me as functional -> usable -> desirable.

Taliesin

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Justin Obara <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Taliesin Love Smith
Hi Justin,
Thanks for replying. I hadn't seen the recent notes. They cover many points I personally faced when I joined the program in 2014 and tried to get an understanding of where I could contribute. Personally, I did not find a way in until I went to A11y Sprint in February 2015 and met people from the PhET project face to face and began meeting with them directly. So, the Sprint was a great event fro me.

One of the confusing aspects for me was, I didn't know how to connect my course project work (in my first year) with project work at the IDRC as mentioned at the bottom of the IDRC "getting involved" page. For me when I was starting out, I didn't realize my course work could be IDRC work. Giving examples or showing how that process works would be very useful. The benefit of working with INCD students is that they are around for 2 full years whereas GSoC students are only around for the summer. Of course, INCD students could also be GSoC students.

People can be unsure of what to share at Community Meetings, so maybe even just making it a little more clear how to propose topics. I see there are many great topics on the page right now :-)

Personally, I feel there is a natural fit between the work of the IDRC and the interests of the Inclusive Design students so developing ways to see these connections more easily would be wonderful.

Taliesin

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Justin Obara <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

A website that might be of interest in this discussion is the Transition Network website.

While the Transition Network's focus is the environment and reducing CO2 emissions, I think the website has some great ideas about how to "transition". I feel this idea of transitioning can be adapted to inclusive design and building a community of practice. For example, transitioning to inclusive practices through building of tools, knowledge sharing, community involvement.

Taliesin